As the Head of Engineering you will lead all engineering teams. Your role is to drive the vision, design, strategy, and implementation of our tech architecture in order to support Mindvalley’s business growth.
Mindvalley builds businesses that innovate on transformational education for all ages, through mediums that range from digital publishing, educational technology, online learning, mobile apps, content, events and more. We stand for ideas that enable people to be extraordinary and impact lives. Founded in 2003 by Vishen Lakhiani, we are a team of 200 people from 40 countries, working across a wide range of inter-related businesses that are dedicated towards pushing humanity forward through reforming global education.
You'll be exposed to some of the best knowledge, people, and resources available anywhere. Mindvalley is considered one of the top places in the world to work and has been written about in magazines, articles and on TV.
About the Role
As the Head of Engineering you will lead the entire technology team, which includes front-end implementation, back-end development, infrastructure, security, data/business intelligence and native mobile development for both iOS and Android. Your role is to drive the vision, design, strategy, and implementation of the entire technology ecosystem in order to support Mindvalley business growth.
As part of this, you will keep up with new technologies and identify the best way forward for our architecture. You provide strong vision for the department and promote the best organizational patterns and practices while tackling high-level challenges and ensuring constant stability and improvement of our core systems.
- Insight into Tech Industry at a high level, able to dive into a specific topic of relevance (R&D) when requested, own strategic vision in regards to engineering department
- Technical Capabilities adviser to CEO, Executive Team and other teams as required (What is possible and not, what is feasible with our ecosystem and legacy systems)
- Monitor key KPIs and budget to assess technological performance
- Skunk works / test projects participation (Supporting rapid prototype development inhouse or externally as required)
- Raise up possible risks (technical and business related) both emerging and long-term based on business direction
- Represent all engineers in tech as their manager
- Project management for engineering related projects (upgrades, migrations, security related initiatives, compliance implementations, technology changes etc)
- Technical owner of architecture uptime, reliability, scalability, security and performance
- Optimizing cost of infrastructure (deliver more, pay less)
- Manage day-to-day activities of the engineering teams
- Management and execution of site/software development projects against delivery commitments and project plans
- Supervising quality assurance processes, integration, and system tests
- People manager of all engineers (welfare, growth, workload etc.)
- Coaching for technical skills, leadership skills and professional career growth
- Hiring strategy, designing interviews, hiring standards, coding tests etc
- Performance monitoring of the team and firing if necessary
- Resource Management across multiple agile teams & platforms of all engineers (To align with business priorities, both long-term and emerging) within the budget
- Representation of Mindvalley externally in Tech Community (Attending conferences Internationally, recruiting, giving talks etc.)
- Facilitate participation of engineering team members in tech community, strengthen external brand of our engineering team
- Evangelise for Mindvalley and it’s engineering team within the regional tech community
- Bring strategic events into Mindvalley event spaces to drive engagement and hiring
- Experience as Head of Engineering/VP Engineering/CTO or a role with similar responsibilities
- 7+ years of working experience in a senior frontend, backend development or infrastructure position
- 5+ years of experience in the management of an engineer team of at least 25+ members
- 5+ years experience in agile development practices and implementation (preferably PSM/CSM certified)
- Exceptionally good communication skills including presentation and written in English
- Expertise in full stack architecture, cloud infrastructure, security and preferably have hands on engineering experience in Ruby on Rails, Python or Elixir.
- Hands on with at least the majority of the current stack would be an advantage; Nginx, Unicorn, Redis, PostgreSQL, Python, Ruby on Rails, Elixir & Phoenix, Amazon AWS, Linode, Google Cloud Platform, WordPress, WP-Engine, Pingdom, Mixpanel, Google Analytics,
- Very familiar with Git workflow, CI/CD, code quality metrics, best practises for web application engineering and microservices design
- Demonstrate outstanding leadership skills, have an ability to move a cross-functional group in a unified direction with a common vision
- Able to be a “big picture” thinker, strong strategic outlook but with deep tactical skills leading to implementation (this is not a consulting role)
- Experience in making solid buy vs build choices when it comes to platforms, services, technologies or anything else related and related budget management
Good to Haves
- Deep hands on cloud experience (GCP certification, all 5 AWS certificates for example)
- Technical and strategic information security capabilities (CISSP and OSCP for example)
- Vast experience of site reliability engineering, infrastructure design and management, Linux systems-administration experience
- Experience in the management of native mobile applications and the workflow surrounding that (CI/CD, test harness, deployment etc) for both iOS and Android
Tech at Mindvalley
Due to the unique environment that Mindvalley has in terms of having its own ecosystem of applications that support the business, working with us in a technical role is a great challenge.
We generally look for attitude over aptitude when it comes to technical skills, a history of proven execution and excellent root cause analysis problem solving skills are things that we value highly.
We predominantly build apps with an nginx, Unicorn, Ruby, Redis and PostgreSQL architecture on Linode so experience with any of these will be valuable to us.
The technical ecosystem is both interesting and broad covering systems that deal with:
- Payment processing (both check-out and backend)
- Media streaming (live and repeated)
- Serving websites to large audiences (high concurrency)
- In-house customer service tools
- Financial reporting
- Shipping & logistics
- E-mail handling (sign-ups, cohort analysis etc)
- Authentication, identification & user data collection/analysis
- In-house Textile based CMS for large number of sites
Any technical role will provide a good mix of development work, systems thinking, problem solving, business analysis with a large dose of teamwork.
We run functional teams based on the SCRUM methodology and are a fairly Agile environment, with 2 week sprints and teams with a minimum of 2 developers (preferably 3) plus a Platform Owner. Sprints cannot be interrupted and work is planned out well in advance to keep stress down to a minimum. We have also been experimenting with LeSS recently (Large Scale Scrum).
We have a focus on scalability, stability and code quality and we use tools such as Circle-CI and Code Climate to help with that
Your application must include:
- Your resume in PDF format. Include links to work samples such as software, designs, or writing you have created so we can see proof of your talents.
- The completed application form linked below.